- 28 ounces chicken or vegetable stock/broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
- Bring broth and tomatoes to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low.
- Season salt and pepper (to taste) and simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let soup cool slightly to blend, or use an immersion blender to puree soup.
- Serve topped with fresh basil, crisp croutons, and a drizzle of olive oil.